Thursday, September 25, 2008

Bill Maher has joined my hall of heroes

I never knew too much about Bill Maher, other than the fact he is a comedian with a talk show, and was funny.

It was not until recently I realized just how funny he is. Of all the great videos I found on Youtube of him, this was my favorite for so many reasons.

Yes, the infamous (somehow not that infamous- I had never heard of it) Pope comment and Maher's sincere apology. And of course, the wonderful Fox News reporters (who are, in absolutely no way biased at all.) reacting to it. I'm not even sure what is funnier; what he said, or fox news discussing it.

Also, there is actually a website led by some crazy Catholic woman (www.firebillmaher.com) trying to convince HBO to fire him. I know they haven't yet and I hope they never do. I'm pretty sure HBO is not run by a bunch of religious looneys anyway though so I'm sure they'll be more likely to just release as-neutral-as-can-be press statements and continue to keep this hilarious and brilliant man on the air. Without further ado:


Love it!


My girlfriend hates Bill Maher and doesnt think he's even remotely funny. She thinks an asshole. At first when i heard that I got really defensive but upon some afterthought I've realized; he is an asshole. But not only is he funny, he's also an intelligent good-natured man. And by good nature I mean essentially that he is a good guy. Sure a lot of his material may offend people (or will, rather) and might get some people upset, but the vast majority of what he says is true and done with good intent. She seemed to be most offended with his mockery of religion and that's understandable; one's beliefs are probably the most sensitive subject a person can talk about. And in the case of devout religious people especially, questioning it is a very messy sensitive subject. (often because when they are cornered by someone pointing out any flaws and irrationality to their beliefs they will often get scared and defensive or many times, even aggressive towards the inquisitor.) But people often forget two very important parts to this predicament: The person being questioned holds the right to say "Regardless of anything you say or prove, this is what I believe and I don't need to explain it to anyone" and yes, that may sound similar to one child conversing with another "Maybe you don't believe, but I know Santa does exist because he eats the cookies I leave out and leaves me extra presents while I'm sleeping" (or something to that nature) but as flawed as that approach may be anyone has the right to say that. (Just as any atheist holds the right to say "I just don't believe in god, that's all" or "I don't follow the bible or any religion but I believe in some supernatural force or being out there") And equally as important, anyone has the right to say whatever they feel like saying about anything, and asking whoever they feel like asking whatever they wish. Those people always reserve the right to decline from the conversation or simply walk away. That's what a free country is, both sides of every argument are free. Not one or the other. I feel like anything anyone wants to, they should be able to as long as they don't harm any others in the process. If you want be an alcoholic and ruin your life; go for it. Just don't get in a car and endanger other completely innocent people. Freedom is to me and i feel should be everywhere, do and say and be whatever you want without hurting people. (People's feelings don't count. This is the real world, we are adults, not in kindergarten. If devout Christians are offended by Bill Maher's show, then they shouldn't watch it. Knowing he will offend you and watching it anyway, and then getting all hot and bothered about it is just childish and absurd.

Then again, when Bill Maher talks about religion he is talking about a belief, a group of people and insulting as it may be to you; he is not knocking on your door and telling you how wrong you are. He is speaking in a general sense on TV (on a channel you have to pay extra to get, and can not watch, just like any other) and not hurling out personal attacks. Sure the pope thing was directed personally to that pervert but even if there wasn't a possibility that the pope is a pedophile and certainly is a man who defended numerous child molesters under the protection his position provides, then I would still think Bill Maher has every damn right to say it.

We are dangerously close to a time where our free speech is cut short from "say anything" to say anything as long as it doesn't offend (list of religious affiliations, ethnicities etc) or as long as it doesn't contain the words...

I will be terribly upset if we ever reach a level of censorship and mutilation of the Constitution ; it is sad enough in our present state.

Well that was a bit of a rant but I tend to fall into those often.

Expect very soon, a videogame entry, an overview some of the games I've recently purchased and the one's I have my eyes on for the coming months.

-B

No comments: